Rasam is a traditional South Indian soup, usually had with rice. Rasam
comes in various flavours. Here is one of them, for a lime rasam, given
to me by a friend.
- Boil the dal in 2 cups of water and mash them when they are done.
- While it is getting cooked, chop the tomatoes, slice the
jalapeños, crush the ginger and chop the coriander leaves.
- In another container heat a teaspoon of oil. Add mustard, jeera,
and 8 to 10 whole black peppercorns.
- When they crackle, add the
green chillies, hing, turmeric, coriander powder, and some salt.
- Fry for 2 minutes, and add the tomatoes and ginger, followed
by 3 cups of water and more salt if needed.
- When it boils well, and froths up, simmer the heat, and add
the mashed dal, and coriander leaves. Boil for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from stovetop, and after 5 minutes, add the lime juice,
and stir. Keep covered until ready to use.