Okay, so it's not really going to make you walk on water, nor heal the
ailing. However, it is miraculous in the sense that it's a salad that you
will actually enjoy eating, and will be healthy for you, and is easy to
make, and is not expensive.
It is a salad, after all.
- Baby spinach leaves
- Arugula leaves, if you like their taste, else leave them out
- Kale leaves, if you like their taste, else leave them out
- Definitely no lettuce
A Little Bit of Fat
Because fat gives flavour and signals your body to stop eating.
- Olive oil
- Goat cheese crumbles
- Any other cheese you like - just be careful you maintain freshness
All-natural, fruit-based sugars, of course. You can use as many or as few
of these ingredients as you can find.
- Red grapes
- Pomegranate seeds
- Orange sections
- Apple pieces
- Pear pieces
- Raisins, if you must
- Dried cranberries, if you must
A Little Bit of Texture
Again, use as many or as few of these as you like.
- Mushrooms - sliced, sauteed in butter (alas)
- Veggie protein, e.g., veggie sausages, cubed
- Sliced radishes (the spherical, red kind)
- Heirloom tomato, cubed
- Crushed potato chips - yep
Spices and Condiments
- Salt - dash
- Pepper - fresh-ground
- Red chilli flakes, if you like
- Balsamic glaze (not vinegar)
- Tamarind chutney, if you're feeling ambitious.
- Layer your plate or lunch box with the leaves.
- Layer the texture items over it, except for the crushed chips, if
you're using that.
- Layer the sugars, cheeses and nuts over that.
- Drizzle olive oil... just a teaspoon should be enough.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper. And crushed chips, if using those.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze on top to finish it off.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
It's worth mentioning again that you don't have to use every single
ingredient in the list. Nor do you have to restrict yourself to just these.
I find that spinach, salt, pepper, oil, goat cheese, walnuts, pomegranate
seeds and balsamic glaze to be the minimum that make a really satisfying
meal. Assembling everything takes less than 5 mins... another 2-3 mins if
you have to saute mushrooms and veggie sausages. In whatever combination
you assemble this salad, it's going to be healthy, tasty and inexpensive.