Bhelpuri is an iconic Bombay street food. Pizza, of course, is an Italian
classic. Combining the two seems an act of wanton hubris, but it is
surprising how well these stalwart dishes go together. Some finagling is
required, though. Afficionados of either food will recognise some
surprising additions and omissions. Unlike my usual recipes, this one is
light on measurements, and unpedantic about simply assembling store-bought
ingredients - you are welcome to make them from scratch if you wish.
- Pizza crust (thin, thick, readymade, hand-made, tossed, whatever)
- Boiled potatoes (mashed, cubed, peeled, unpeeled, whatever)
- Tamarind chutney (if you'd prefer to make, add boiled crushed dates)
- Sprouted mung beans
- Cubed red onions
- Green chutney (has cilantro, chilles and lots of salt, mint optional)
- Grated cheese
- Thin sev
- Chopped cilantro
- Layer the ingredients in the order listed above until and including
- Fire the pizza in the oven, like regular pizza.
- When the pizza is out, layer the last two ingredients immediately.
- Cut, serve, and let two cultures envelop you with inner and outer